Print this story

Newtown ends Ansonia's win streak at 48. Story by John Nestor.

POSTED October 18, 2014
Twitter: @

NEWTOWN - Newtown did something Friday night that has not been done in a long, long time. Beat Ansonia in football.

The fifth-ranked Nighthawks got a pair of rushing touchdowns and a stellar defensive effort to post a 14-8 victory over the No. 4 Chargers before 3,000 fans at Blue and Gold Stadium. The victory prevented Ansonia from tying Cheshire's state record 49-game win streak.

It was the first time Ansonia has tasted defeat since Dec. 11, 2010 when it lost to St. Joseph in the Class S state title game. The Chargers have won three straight state titles since then and were on a march toward history before running into the Nighthawks.

"It's a remarkable streak," Ansonia coach Tom Brockett said. "We won't sit back and think about it tonight but one day we will look back and 48 wins is a great streak."

Newtown (6-0) was playing to end the streak, but also playing for some respect. The Nighthawks entered last season's Class LL state playoffs undefeated and seeded No. 1 before losing 35-33 to Ridgefield. 

"I didn't focus on it or harp on it all week," Newtown coach Steve George said of Ansonia's win streak. "I didn't want my kids to feel like that was all we were playing for."

From the start Newtown was able to control the line of scrimmage on offense and defense and it was able to run the ball effectively while bottling up Ansonia's usually pounding run game.

The Chargers entered the game averaging just over 300 yards a game on the ground this season but were limited to 40 in this one and only 145 yards of total offense.

Jared Pearson scored on an 18-yard run with 1:13 to go in the first quarter and Bryce Mather's extra point made it 7-0. The score stayed that way until halftime and into the third quarter.

Ansonia got the second half kickoff and pieced together a drive down to the Newtown 21 but turned the ball over on downs. The drive took nearly seven minutes but resulted in no points. Newtown running back Jaret Devellis (142 yards on 20 carries) fumbled on the next play and Ansonia was back in business at the Newtown 33 but the drive stalled at the 29.

The Nighthakws then added to their advantage with Devellis ripping off a pair of big runs and Nick Rubino capping off the drive with a 4-yard TD run to make it 14-0 with 1:05 left in the third.

The Chargers didn't quit and cut the lead to 14-8 early in the fourth quarter. Jai'Quan McKnight threw a 20-yard TD pass to Tyler Bailey and McKnight ran in the two-point conversion and all of a sudden Blue and Gold Stadium was a lot quieter with 10:14 to play.

With all the momentum, Ansonia's defense got a three and out and the Chargers drove into Nighthawks territory but couldn't finish the drive. The Chargers got the ball back once more but an incompletion on 4th down deep in Ansonia territory with 34 seconds left sealed the win for Newtown.

"We made mistakes, but they forced us to make mistakes and they earned the win," Brockett said. "They were big and they are a fast, physical football team. Hats off to them."

For more from click here